There are a number of procedures that are absolutely necessary for the successful house removal, no matter if you are moving in London, Croydon, or moving internationally. Professional removal companies are familiar with the process, but most of the customers are not, and we believe it is our responsibility to introduce the people that are planning their move to the basics of a complete house removal. Best London Removals Ltd realizes this “brief” online through our contact form, on the phone or during the free removal survey, which we organize with our prospect clients. In order to be even more useful to the people preparing their house removal, our moving experts drafted a “Moving house checklist”, which you might print and follow through for a stress-free house relocation.
The moving house checklist drafted below is intended for preliminary use of a few weeks before the planned removal. We will be soon publishing a “Moving day checklist” and “Moving office checklist”. Now take a deep breath and dive in our:
Complete Moving House Checklist
- It should start with removal company research, selection and booking
- Fix your budget, obtain a written removal quotation and ensure the company provides moving transit insurance.
- Secure the household insurance for your new home.
- Draw a plan of your new home – all floors – rooms, corridors, closets, etc. should be included. The plan should be used for designing the optimal furniture placement. You should measure the spaces to ensure your furniture will fit. Assure that large items would fit through doors?
- Prepare an inventory of everything you own. Be sure to describe any flaws, scratches or dents.
- List all precious items so that you treat them with the proper attention.
- Safely dispose of everything that you don’t need.
- Check the moving instructions for your home appliances (fridge, freezer, washing and drying machines, ovens, etc.).
- You should also take care about all opened packets of food – either try to use them or find proper disposal.
- Do not forget to review your “storage” – garage, attic, garden shed, etc.
- Empty all gas cylinders and air bottles, dispose of all flammable liquids (paint, cleaning fluids, fuel, aerosols of any kind, garden chemicals, etc.).
- Organize your mail handling – it could either be held or redirected to your new address.
- In case you have kids – organize school and kindergarten transfers.
- Redirect or cancel subscriptions.
- Return borrowed or rented items.
- Confirm with your Real Estate Agents key collection time as this will determine your moving day.
- Prepare all important legal documents and jewellery to be moved by you or a trusted relative.
- Plan in advance and schedule any necessary repairs required.
- Research storage facilities with the selected removal company if needed.
- Obtain family and pet medical records, do not forget dental and school records.
- Organize property inspection and book cleaners if needed.
- Transfer and set up utilities at your new address.